As I was trying to decide what to write about for my next post, I found myself on Google typing in “how to get good blog ideas.” God bless Google. I was able to get some great ideas, which triggered more ideas and ultimately … a blog post.
Whether you are a beginner or an advanced blogger, you will most likely find a day where you’ve simply blanked on ideas. In fact, most people find that coming up with good blog content is rather difficult. Stuck in a blogging rut? Here are a few steps for finding inspiration for upcoming blog posts.
- First and foremost, remember the KISS motto, and try to keep it simple! The nature of a blog post is to be informative and entertaining so don’t attempt to write about things that are too complicated. Even when writing about a complex subject, try to keep the focus your post on something simple and direct. Do not try to cram too many ideas into one blog post. Try splitting them up into individualized posts for different subjects.
- Have “role model” blogs to get ideas from. Make a list of the top blogs that you find interesting and that are relevant to you. Read them regularly, and when you see a blog post that catches your attention, write a follow up post with your interpretation. It is OK to poach story ideas. Just make sure to add your own (more interesting) spin on the subject.
- Visit blog aggregating sites such as Junta42.com, Customerthink.com and SocialMediaToday.com. Here you can find a wide variety of blog posts by several different authors. Ideas are never in short supply at such sites.
- Understand your blog’s purpose. Know what you want readers to get out of your blog. If your blog’s purpose is to express expertise and insight into the banking industry then blogging about music would probably confuse your readers. However, if you are using music to help people better understand a banking subject- and thus making it more interesting- then it would become relevant and useful. It’s OK to stray once in a while and show your personality as long as it for the good of the overall purpose.
- Challenge yourself. Try answering your own questions. Just like I did with this blog, try writing a blog about things you would like to know for yourself. Obviously, this requires a bit more research, but if you are interested in knowing about he subject, then chances are other people are too.
- Be present and learn from others. A great way to get ideas for blog posts is by participating in webinars and webcasts. Webinars are usually places where new ideas and approaches are expressed. Not only can you become more knowledgeable on a subject, but you also can also see what others are asking. Most webinars and podcasts have a Q & A period. Take note of what people’s concerns are about. A good blog post could include your feedback or analysis.
- Finally, try to ask your readers what they want to know. Make a contest out of it using the help of Twitter and see what kind of ideas come back. You might be pleasantly surprised.